Saturday, October 3, 2015

MTC Week 5!

This week was definitely the hardest week so far being a missionary. I was going into this week confident from last week, because of how the lessons and language were coming along. But I was humbled this week, multiple times. The lessons that Elder Sanft and I taught didn't go very well. I forgot words, made dumb Tagalog mistakes, and simply didn't know what I was saying. My confidence was shot. When we skyped a Filipino who was in the Philippines, I realized I didn't know how to keep a conversation going without it being basically English. Although it was a cool experience, it's frustrating because there's so much I want to say, but I just can't say it. There's a lot to learn, and Tagalog isn't going to come unless I continue to work as hard as I can. Then the Lord will help. Like James B. Martino said in this afternoon's conference, "Be like Nephi, Have faith. For faith without works is dead."


Wednesday I had the opportunity to host the new missionaries that came in. I started to remember how I felt coming into the MTC as I watched the missionaries get out of their car, and say goodbye to their moms. Man, that was tough. I tried to have a smile on my face as I welcomed the missionaries out of their cars, and acted like the MTC was the happiest place on earth haha.
Unfortunately a few missionaries went home this week. It wasn't easy to take that in. Honestly, this week I questioned a few times.  But I always remember to doubt my doubts before I doubt my faith. 

Today was much needed, being able to watch General conference. Here they call it the "superbowl" for missionaries. I agree. It is amazing. Many of my questions were answered and my faith has increased. Hearing the words of the apostles of the Lord is exactly what I needed. It's such a blessing to be able to listen to all the general authorities that are called of God and to think that I was also called of God to serve in the Philippines! I wish I could share with y'all all of my favorite things from conference, but here are a few.

"We cannot jump out of the old ship Zion. We must stay on because God leads us to exaltation."

"Walk in the faith of discipleship - faith, hope and charity."

"Our lives must be centered on Christ if we want true joy, happiness, and peace."

"It will all work out."

"Be humble enough the ask, but faithful enough to ACT."

Many more but not enough time to type them all haha.

Good news family...I leave October 15, not the 21st. I've been here for almost 5 weeks. 1 and a half more weeks until the Philippines. I got my flight plans yesterday. Also, more great news- in LA I get to call y'all at the airport before I head to Hong Kong, then Manila. I'll have more info next week. I hope this week will be better for me. Keep me in your prayers. I love and miss you all!! 

Love,
Elder Johnson





No comments:

Post a Comment